Sunday, September 12, 2010

The right to be in business


OK so who gets the right to be in business and stay in business.
If you are to look at the way things are right now. I would say ANYONE can be in business - you just register and then off to the races. Now who has the right to stay in business. Well one could argue that those who are successful have the right.
OK...
I am not going to pick on any real companies today for my example. Let's pretend I have a business (I just made some cupcakes for a neighborhood barbq, so let's use them as an example) My cupcake business is SO popular ;) I make lots of money and get lots of press, I have celebrity endorsements, and I am publicly traded.
But let's say that in order to be in business I use ingredients that caused environmental pollution in their growing. That the farmers making my ingredients were not paid a minimum wage and did not work in completely safe working environments. Let's say that it was just too expensive to do these things, but hey my business was popular and kept many people here employed.

This is a question I wrestle with often. In my line of work I know too much about what companies to to offer customers cheap or even not cheap products. There are corners cut all over the place and they are the corners that we are comfortable with because in my case I want a $1 cupcake. At what point are we as consumers going to demand better, demand more from companies. And say this isn't right?

Cool options are starting to find their way to the markets, but now it is up to consumers to by organic over conventional, to buy FairTrade, to buy the non toxic version over the conventional. If the demand isn't there, then we are at a loss.

Companies who do not know their impacts and do not make strides to improve their environmental and social impacts - don't have the right to remain in business for long.

No comments: