Sunday, January 2, 2011

Time for Reflection

I was having a glass of wine with a dear friend the other night and we started talking about New Year's resolutions, she said that her new year really started in September - must be left over from the life of school.  I had to agree - there is always a sense of something new around labor day, pushing restart.  But I also feel the same way today on January 1.  And if you are a Buddhist, you relish in the restart with everything.  Regardless of when one takes the time to stop and reflect, the desire for this action is significant. For we are told constantly that we live in such a busy world, where do we find the time to do anything, but somewhere deep within our being is this desire to reflect.

This morning I spent a bit of time in my garden (sorry everyone outside of southern California) turning over my compost and thought about what do I want this year to be about?  I think a lot about my values and how I do or don't live them. I know better when I am not living my values, but I justify the convience of not doing so. For instance, driving my car to the gym, buying the non organic bananas, tossing out instead of rinsing the way old moldy yogurt container in the back of the fridge, those kinds of things.  But what about the values around the way I get to live my life?  I like many of you earn an income from a company that needs to sell more things in order to remain in business.  What this world doesn't need is more things.  This will be my challenge for this year, it requires me to dig deeper into the principles of sustainability and see how to execute them in my work.  It is very easy to not push myself, my company, my peers because the work we do is hard enough, but if my values are going to align on a deeper level then this is now my new years resolution.

Here is to a fabulous year to all of you!

1 comment:

Welcome To Y:O:U said...

I often have difficulty coming to terms with working for a company that sells "things" in a world that needs all us to posses less if we are to ever reverse the consumption frenzy our generation(s) have been born into. A consumption centric society that has plundered and damaged the planet so deeply that even the brightest minds in the world are unsure if we can undo the harm we have caused. I sincerely feel that only through the transfer of information (the education of the masses) can individuals achieve the epiphany/enlightenment that we are all part of something much larger and it is our responsibility to find balance with nature and with each other at every opportunity...