Friday, February 11, 2011

Why we do it


I have started working on a white paper to articulate my vision for my work and sustainability and realized that I needed to define where I start from.  It is important to know WHY I am doing what I am doing.  WHAT I do really comes from the elements of my life and the time that I live in right now.  We have globalization, computers, blogs, fears, pollutions, community gardens and multi-national corporations. 
The world we live in today is unique and never before.  So what I do is only influenced by my passions and visions - the why....

Let’s start at a place of what is right in the world, let’s start at a place that humans have unlimited potential for happiness, for love, for creativity, and be rooted in our place in this ecosystem of where we live.  We are humans, we are animals, we are living beings and therefore our life is finite.  Yep we get to live and we also get to die, all things in life have this, look at the plants and animals and people around us, it happens every day.  

So with this finite time here, wouldn’t we want to be the greatest that we can?

This is the place that my sustainability vision is rooted.  There are so many best practices that exist out there, we have seen amazing innovations around agriculture, manufacturing, use, service and even consumption.  We have many solutions, why aren’t we putting them into practice?  There are many answers to that question, but where I see opportunity is in the space where people want to live their values through all they do.  We can get there.  What would the world look like if we all lived our values?   I sure as hell wouldn’t have a job trying to bring the principles of sustainability to the masses - and I welcome that day because that would be on amazing world. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this: "So with this finite time here, wouldn’t we want to be the greatest that we can?"

I totally agree and find myself not living up to my best sometimes. Practice practice!

And this part really spoke to me: "What would the world look like if we all lived our values? "

I think that it would help if we often re-evaluated our values and adjust them if need be. I think for some just sitting down and figuring out what their values are would be time well spent. Perhaps you could write a post about defining your values? Or perhaps I will and link it back to this article ....hummm....thanks for the inspiration.

I love your blog!

Nicole Bassett said...

Thanks Diane for the idea on a values blog post. Always in need of good ideas.
And you are right, taking the time for a personal values assessment isn't one we have the opportunity to do often.
So keep an eye out for that post!