Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sustainable Living TMI

Ok I am warning you right now - this is probably Too Much Information about me for some of you.  But I wanted to talk about one of my bad behaviors that I finally found a sustainable solution to.  Here it is... SHAVING!

I have been shaving my legs since I was in high school - that was a few years ago so the amount of disposable razors, their plastic composite and all the packaging has added up. At first I figured - well a razor isn't that big so the environmental impact must be small, right?  But then over time I learned of this concept called embodied impact - which is the impact of everything it took to make that product and to dispose of it.  Now that little razor compounded by 20 years of using and disposing was adding up.

It wasn't until I went to Palm Springs about a year ago with some friends and the gentleman of the group wanted to visit a shaving store. (? they have whole stores dedicated to shaving? well you always learn something new) There I saw a steel razor where you just switch out the blade when it is dull, limited waste and no packaging.  The store staff answered by questions about - yes women can use these razors they aren't just for the guys and what to look for in a good razor.

Well as I have mentioned time and time again - change takes time and I finally bought my steel razor!  I am so excited. I tried it out and it works amazingly. But in full transparency I did nick myself twice and it takes some getting used to.  I am so happy to have nicely shaven legs and know that I didn't create a ton of packaging and plastic waste. (Plastic in our waste stream is pretty bad.)

And the nice bonus - it is a cheaper investment.  For instance to replace the "head" of my  old razor with new blades it cost me $13 for 4. I was also due to get a new handle since I the old one was getting pretty gross - that would have put me back another $20.
My new Merkur steel razor was $34 and a box of 10 blades is $7.  Think a year from now - if I use 2 blades a month I will have saved. $27.60.

It is fun when sustainability efforts save you money!  Happy Shaving all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully appreciate your "transparency" on sustainability!! You are a brave woman ;)
~Rachel Lincoln

Anonymous said...

I'll make sure to tell all my cycling buddies who also shave their legs... mine will remain hairy.
dave laws

Anonymous said...

I stopped buying new razors and I still use mach4 from G bought in the summer of 2010. I still use the razor blade, day in-day out. Somebody told me a razor gets a bit dull after a week but you do not really feel it is getting duller and duller. He was right! i have extremely heavy beard and the weakest link is not the sharpness of the razor but water and saving cream! Try it guys

Nicole Bassett said...

Update - It has been over a month now and I am LOVING my razor. I am getting much better at not nicking my skin which is always good! Yay to sustainable solutions.