Friday, May 13, 2011

The sustainability of time

I was warned of this - the consulting world is full of super busy times and dead times.  I am so very grateful for being busy right now. I am very fortunate to have a few projects going on that are keeping me learning and gaining to skills.
One of my new skills is this thing called "time management".  You see I have been a generally organized person, but for some reason these skills go on vacation when I have needed them.
For instance, the past few months of not being busy - wanting to be busy, I filled a lot fo my time with puttering.  I was getting good as "making work", filling time with random things, so that I didn't have to be reminded that I needed to find more work. Could have used some time management here.

Currently I have a few contracts going on which means I am too busy and scared that I won't get everything done to the quality that I want to.
And I know that I will be not busy again in the future - such is the life of a consultant. So time management is essential again.

Thus my desire to find sustainability with time.  What I have learned and been thankful for is that years ago I figured out what few things are the most important things that must always be in my life.  It is because I know these things they are always factored into my schedule. They are - exercise, eating well, time with my boyfriend, time for my family and friends, and sleep.  So in my newly acquired skill of mapping out my days I had to create a schedule for myself that included everything.
I don't get extra hours in the day, so somethings are shorter than if I had more time.
But I learned years ago when you don't require yourself to have the aspects of your life that give you balance then it all is not worth it.  I can't do an amazing job on something related to work when I am tired or have not exercised or eaten poorly or connected with my love ones.
So I do have a little excel file right now for the next 6 weeks plotting out my work / life balance.  But it is only 6 weeks of being ridged and hey as I have always been saying - sustainability takes some effort.  But is worth it. 

No comments: