Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Be Awear - Taking what we wear and telling a good story

Last week I had the chance to get interviewed by Kestral Jekins the curator and founder of Be Awear. The idea is that we all have the ability to be Change makers using our clothing as a conduit for that positive change.
How often are you out with a group of friends and someone says "Oh I love your (sweater, dress, scarf, earrings, shoes... you name it)"?
The statement is an invitation to tell a story.
It could be a short story - "I bought it at the GAP on sale" - or it could be a story that gets people thinking and engaged.
What if your response instead is, "I got this used from a friend of mine I have known for 10 years, or I spent months searching for the perfect organic cotton jeans and here they are, or I bought this from ABC company who is committed to sourcing everything Fair Trade and out of recycled materials."

Our clothes have the opportunity to share a story about the world we want to see, about how one lives their values through the purchases we make.  And acts as a starting place for a robust conversation toe hare stories about the people who make our clothes, what they are made out of and how we are part of a global connection to everyone along that supply chain.

Check out a video I did to share the Awear story and visit the site to see a lot of fashionable, passionate change makers that will inspire you to look at your clothes differently.

And adopt the BeAwear Principles - they are good rules of thumb when you go shopping!

No comments: