Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Sexy Home Renovations - Insulation!

I have been dreaming about renovating our bathrooms ever since we moved in 2 years ago. The house was built in 1982 and well the bathrooms look it.
But the thing is... they work. And yes I would like to update the style, but is that enough of a justification to take perfectly good things like tubs, shelves, counters and hooks and update them?

I have a Pintrest page and have even selected my recycled tile for the shower and floors. But I have a feeling any $ I have saved for this renovation will be going into something more practical and less beautiful.

Yesterday I had a free energy home inspection through Clean Energy Works. And well - our home is pretty efficient, but could be a lot better.  The big wins - Insulation in both our attic and in our flooring. Codes have changed since our house was built and a lot of heat is escaping through our inefficient roof and floors.

This process is one that I preach all the time in my work, so I should walk the talk in my personal life right?
So my bathrooms will wait, I'll buy a plant and call that my design update and focus on making my home more efficient. So next time company comes over, the crawl space and attic will be included in the house tour - I am going to want to showcase my new investment!

No comments: