Thursday, March 12, 2015

Our ability to adapt

This has been my 3rd year living in Hood River and it has been the strangest winter yet. I look out my window at one tree and its dying leaves because we got a cold snap so early that the leaves didn't have time to prepare for winter.  At the same time, today, I am looking at daffodils in full bloom. The daffodils don't know it is February, they just know it was warm enough to start blooming.




I wish I could say I have enjoyed my spring - which has felt like summer, but I wonder what will happen yet.  Spring is still a long way from over. In years past there have been storms and cold snaps still to come.  Will that happen this year?  We are all waiting and seeing.

I am actually not going to talk about global warming, but rather about uncertain weather in a time when humans believe that we can mange our businesses and our lives with complete certainty.
If we do get a cold snap in the next month, there is a chance that all of the blossoms, now thriving in full bloom, will die.  Therefore no fruit will grow.

And while we have created mechanisms for uncertainty - like insurance -the impact is significant.  Insurance is for the exception, not the rule.  And each year as the uncertainty thickens we may have to rethink insurance.

So as businesses, we need to start taking into consideration more uncertainty, to take part in more scenario planning, and to broaden the way we look at the world.

As each company goes into their yearly business strategy development, it might be worth taking a farmers almanac in with you and start to look at the world through weather and what this may mean for your business.


No comments: